The instructions below will add Echo360 as an External Learning Tool at the Account/Organization level and make the link available to all descendants within the organization. This makes the tool available for any courses configured for the organization.
These procedures must be performed by a user who is an Administrator in both Brightspace AND Echo360.
BEST PRACTICE: Selecting and copying the values between Echo360 and the LMS can be difficult, and can be prone to selection errors. To select the full value of an LMS field, do the following:
1) Use your mouse to select a portion of the field values.
2) Press Ctrl+A / Command+A to "select all" of the field.
3) Press Ctrl+C / Command + C to copy the selected value.
4) Paste the value into the corresponding field in the LMS LTI External Tool configuration.
NOTE: The procedures below are provided as guidelines to the Brightspace tool configuration process. Refer to the Brightspace documentation for additional details or contact Brightspace product support if you need further assistance.
To create the LMS Configuration values in Echo360
- Log into Echo360 as an Administrator.
- Select the Settings icon in upper-right of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Configurations.
- From the left panel, select LMS configurations as shown in the below figure.
- If you do not have a Desire2Learn/Brightspace LMS Configuration already, click Add Configuration, then select Desire2Learn from the drop-down list.
- Click SAVE.
The values generated in the Desire2Learn configuration are the values you will use in the External Learning Tool in Brightspace using the below procedures.
NOTE: While Desire2Learn is the option available from the LMS drop-down list, you can edit the LMS Name in the textbox and click SAVE if you prefer your configuration read "Brightspace".
To configure Echo360 as an External Learning Tool in Brightspace
- Log into Brightspace as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the top right corner (it looks like gears)
- In the Organization Related options, select External Learning Tools.
- Click the Manage Tool Providers tab, then click New Tool Provider as shown in the below figure.
- In the New Tool Provider form, complete the fields in the top section as follows:
- Launch Point - Copy and paste the Host URL value from the Echo360 configuration fields
- Secret - Copy and paste the Shared Secret value from the Echo360 configuration fields
- CHECK the box for Use custom tool consumer information instead of default, as may be necessary to enable the Key, Name and Description fields.
- Key - Copy and paste the Consumer Key value from the Echo360 configuration fields
- Name - Enter a name that clearly identifies this as a link to the Echo360 institution where the linked sections and classes reside
- Description (optional but recommended) - Enter a description of this tool provider as the Echo360 platform through which class and section media are provided.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the form and enable the appropriate Visibility and Security Settings options.
AT A MINIMUM, Echo360 requires the user name, user email address, and role. Other selections may aid in the LTI communication required for future integration, so unless you have a specific reason not to, checking all of the options is recommended.
- At the bottom of the form, click Add Org Units.
- Find the main Organizational unit (or the one to which you want to make this tool provider available).
- Check the box for the organizational unit, and select to make the link available for All descendants of the org unit, as shown in the below figure.
This ensures the tool is available for all courses or other objects created within that organization/department.
- Click Insert to enter this change in the Tool Provider form. Repeat if enabling the tool for different organizations separately.
- When finished with the Tool Provider form, click Save and Close.
The new Tool Provider appears in the Manage Tool Providers list. It is now available for selection as an External Learning Tool for Brightspace courses, and allows admins or instructors to link their Brightspace courses to Echo360 sections.