Classroom Capture is a Windows-only application that turns a classroom PC into a capture device for the room. The Classroom Capture software is available through the Downloads page in Echo360. The installation wizard guides you through installation.
To install Classroom Capture
- Log onto the classroom PC as a user with administrator rights.
- Open Echo360 and log in as an Echo360 administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the top right corner of the screen, and select Downloads from the menu (shown in the above figure).
- From the Downloads page, click the Windows Download link provided for Classroom Capture.
- Locate the downloaded installer (.exe file) and launch it. If you receive a warning message, click Yes to trust the download and proceed.
- Click Next to proceed through the installer,
- Accept the default Installation and Data directories or click the folder icons for each to select different locations for these files.
- Click Next to continue through the wizard.
- A dialog box appears, identifying the MAC address of the computer. Make a note of the MAC address, as you will need it to assign the CCAP device to a room. You can also find the MAC address on the Settings page of the CCAP application (shown below).
- Click OK.
- When installation completes, click Finish.
Launch Classroom Capture (it may launch automatically after installation if the Launch Classroom Capture checkbox is enabled on the final installation pane). This allows you to see what is being captured by the currently attached devices, and adjust them accordingly. The input selections and preview/monitor panes are shown in the below figure.
Click the Settings icon located in the top right corner of the CCAP window to open the Settings page, shown below. The MAC address of the computer is listed in the Serial Number field, if you need to reference it after installation. The page also shows information about uploaded captures and logs, as well as system up and last sync time.
When using system imaging or configuration management suites such as Faronics Deep Freeze, you must configure the tool so that Classroom Capture is allowed access to key directories and files, and must have capture storage directories that are not automatically purged/cleared by other applications. The critical directories are shown in the table below.
|Access needed for...||Default Location||When used|
|Program files||c:\Program Files\Echo360\Client\||during upgrades and patches|
|Content||c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Echo360\Client\task||temporary location during a capture|
|Content backup||c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Echo360\Client\saved-content||after upload|
|Configuration files||c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Echo360\config (and all subdirectories)||at any time|
Two registry entries are created during the installation of the Classroom Capture software. These registry entries do not normally change during the course of use of Classroom Capture.
The default port configurations for Classroom Capture are outlined in Device Communication in Echo360 Environment