If your institution has integrated Canvas or Moodle with Echo360, you may want to enable the Echo360 content embed button into your LMS. This button allows admins or instructors to embed an Echo360 video directly into a content window. This may provide a shortcut for manually copying the public link or embed code to a more widely accessible location. See Adding an Echo360 Button to the Canvas Content Editor Toolbar or Adding an Echo360 Button to the Moodle Content Editor Toolbar as appropriate.
There may be times when a capture or video needs to be shared with a larger audience than a few classes or select individuals. In this case, you can generate a URL directly to the video, then post that link anywhere you like. You can also generate "embed code" to surround the public link, for embedding directly into a portal, embedding in an LMS content page (using the HTML view of the editor), or onto a social media site.
Video Access Links can be truly "public", allowing anyone with the URL to view the video in a browser. Or they can be set to Private, requiring anyone who clicks the link, to log in to Echo360. This means that only Echo360 users at your institution can view the linked capture.
IMPORTANT: Setting a video access link to Private means a user must log in to Echo360 to view it. For LMS users (who do not have a direct Echo360 login), those users will need to have already accessed Echo360 in some way (for example, to view a section). As long as they are already authenticated in Echo360 when they click the link, the link will work.
This option is only available for video/capture media. Furthermore, Admins can only see the Access Links option when selecting an item from the Captures page; Admins cannot change role to Instructor and generate access links for content they do not own. Instructors can generate and share public links to content they own, unless disabled by an administrator.
Generating and posting access links is different than sharing content to an individual.
To generate an access link for a video/capture
- From the Completed status list on the CAPTURES page, find the capture you want.
- Click on the capture row to open the capture details page.
- Below the capture viewing pane, click the SHARING tab.
IMPORTANT: You will only see sharing options if you are logged in as an Administrator or you are the owner of the content. Only Admins and content owners have these rights.
- In the Access links section of the Sharing tab, click ADD LINK.
The Access links section changes to show the newly generated link along with the options available.
- As necessary, configure the options for the link as follows:
- Active slider: When enabled, clicking the link plays the linked content. If deactivated (turn Active slider off), the link itself remains valid but users clicking the link cannot view the content. This works to temporarily disable the link.
- Delete: Permanently deletes the URL and its relationship with the content. If the URL remains posted publicly, clicking it will return an unknown error, as there is no longer any association between the URL and the content. Future public links to this content will have a different ID number in the URL.
- Description: Enter a description for the link. This is useful for identifying the purpose of the link or the location to which it is to be posted.
- Start at slider: When enabled, allows you to set a 'starting location' for the content. Users can view the entirety of the video, but by default the video begins playing at the location you set.
- Access options: Select Private or Public. Public is selected by default.
Selecting Private means that only Echo360 users can view the video. If a user clicks a Private Access link, they will be asked to log in.
Selecting Public means that any person with the link can view the video. This is the default.
- If appropriate, click EMBED to generate embed code around the link for embedding into an accommodating program or location.
- In the Embed modal that appears, configure the embed link options as follows:
- Size drop-down: Select the size (height and width) of the embedded video playback. For bandwidth considerations of the viewer, select the smallest size reasonable for the type of content being posted.
- Autoplay slider: When enabled, the content automatically begins playing when the link is accessed.
- Automute slider: Only available if Autoplay is enabled; automatically mutes the video on playback. Users can un-mute the content as needed.
- COPY: When clicked, copies the embed code shown in the text box to your clipboard, for pasting to an appropriate location. If the original public link had already been copied to your clipboard, the embed code replaces that paste-able content.
- Click Cancel to close the Embed modal.
- When finished, exit the page by clicking the browser's Back button, or use the Main Menu options (Dashboard, Captures, etc.) located at the top of the page.
The link you created appears in the Sharing tab until it is deleted. It is available for all users who have access to a content's sharing information (content owners, instructors, and admins). You can copy it at any time to paste into another location.
YOU CAN CREATE MULTIPLE CONTENT LINKS Notice that after you create a link, the ADD LINKS button remains. This allows you to create additional postable links with different properties as needed. For example, you may have a link that doesn't require authentication and one that does. This allows you to post them in different locations, and to deactivate and/or delete one of them without affecting the other.