Ad hoc captures are captures that are generated outside of a regular class schedule.
Ad hoc captures can be initiated by instructors using the Start Capture button (if enabled) located in the main toolbar of both the Instructor and Admin interface. They can also be initiated and controlled via the device Web UI, or in some cases, via the front panel of the capture appliance.
THIS article deals with generating ad hoc captures via the front panel of the PRO or POD appliance, or through the Device Web UI. For information on using the Start Capture button, see Creating an Ad Hoc Capture.
For an SCHD device, ad hoc captures are started and controlled through the Device web interface, as described below. This allows a user to log into and control the capture device assigned to the room.
For an Echo360 PRO appliance, users can simply press the Record button on the front of the device. The configured "one-touch profile" input settings are used for the capture. For more information, see Start an ad hoc recording.
For an Echo360 POD appliance, users can simply press the Record icon on the touchscreen the device. The configured "one-touch profile" input settings are used for the capture. For more information, see Start an ad hoc recording. Also, know that the Echo360 POD supports the use of a few USB cameras for capturing video. See Using USB Cameras with the Echo360 POD.
Alternately, you can obtain a device monitor light and install the device monitor software available from Echo, to initiate and control ad hoc captures within the classroom. If you use a Device Monitor and light, a user must be logged in to the PC for the device and software to work.
The ad hoc interface is available with the following capture options:
- SafeCapture HD (SCHD)
- Echo360 PRO (PRO)
- Echo360 POD (POD)
- Classroom Capture Software
- Universal Capture: Classroom Software
Like scheduled captures, when an ad hoc capture is completed (user clicks Stop Capture), the raw capture files are automatically uploaded to Echo360 for processing.
NOTE: Admin-initiated ad hoc captures not associated with a section will ONLY appear on the Admin's Captures page. Instructor-initiated captures can be published to a selected course or to the instructor's personal Library page. If Library is selected, the capture will appear on the LIBRARY page where it can be viewed or edited prior to publishing to one or more classes.
In either case, the capture will need to be published in order to be viewable by other users.
Log in to the capture appliance device web interface
Any type of capture being performed by a capture appliance can be controlled through the device web interface. You must log in to the device through the device IP address to access the web interface controls.
You may be presented with security warnings when accessing the device. You can ignore these warnings.
If you are an instructor and do not know the IP address of the device, contact your system administrator.
To log in to the device web interface
- To access the device directly, you have the following options:
- If you are an Admin:
- Select ROOMS from the main menu, find the room with the device, and click the Log in to Device icon located in the bottom left corner of the Room block.
- Alternately, you can enter the IP address/advanced into the browser's URL field.
- If you are an Instructor, enter the IP address of the device into your browser's URL address field. This may be noted somewhere or bookmarked on the computer in the classroom.
- If you are an Admin:
- Log in to the device as follows:
- If you are an Admin, use the generic admin or instructor login configured for the device.
- If you are an Instructor, use your Active Learning Platform login, or the generic instructor login for the device.
When the device interface appears, the first tab shown is the Captures tab, used to start an ad hoc capture or control a currently active capture.
Create ad hoc captures
Ad hoc captures are generated in a classroom but outside of the normal class schedule. Ad hoc captures can be associated with a particular section when they are initiated, or published to a section later through the Echo360 interface.
For Your Information: The room info for a capture device is located in the upper-right corner of the screen. If it applies, information for Next Scheduled Capture is provided in the center of the screen. Ad hoc captures cannot be configured to overlap the next scheduled capture start time.
To start a new ad hoc capture
- Log in to the device web interface (see above instructions).
- On the Captures tab of the device interface, select Ad Hoc Capture.
- The tab changes to contain fields to complete relating to the capture:
- Title this capture - Enter a title related to the subject or purpose of the capture.
- How many minutes is the capture? - Enter how long you want the capture to be. You can extend or stop the capture at any time.
- What do you want to capture? - Use the list to select the input items and quality (which also determines file size) you want to use for this capture.
- Select an upload location- If you used a specific instructor login, you are able to select the section to which this capture should be associated or select Personal library.
- When the fields are complete and you are ready to begin capturing, click Start Ad Hoc Capture.
NOTE: The maximum duration of any scheduled capture is enforced by the system and is dependent on the device type being used. The limit for SafeCapture HDs is 4 hours, all other capture appliances have a limit of 8 hours. For details and limitations, see Working with Capture Appliances.
After selecting to start the capture, there is a three-second countdown before the capture begins. At this point you may want to click the Monitor tab to view the inputs and monitor the capture.