Captures, as discussed here, are recordings made by Echo360 recording appliances (such as the Echo360 PRO or POD or the SCHD), by Classroom Capture or by Universal Capture, initiated by an Administrator, and set to occur either as scheduled recordings for a section, scheduled recordings of planned speakers, or as one-off recordings of special events.
Captures can have sections configured for them, meaning that the completed captures are auto-published into classes in the section. Schedulers can ONLY see and manage capture schedules that are auto-published to sections.
Captures without a section will only appear in the selected Instructor's LIBRARY and/or on the Admin's CAPTURES page. Either the Admin or the Instructor will have to publish the capture to make it viewable by other users.
ALTERNATELY an admin can copy the public link for a completed capture and post it anywhere you like or embed it (with or without authentication required) in a location where users can view it outside of a section. Instructors can also post/embed public links to videos they own (appear in their LIBRARY page) unless an admin has disabled the public links feature.
There are a number of different ways to access an existing capture schedule in order to edit it. While the examples below show a recurring schedule (that is also auto-published to a section), these methods work for non-recurring schedules as well, and the first two work for those schedules that are not associated with a section (Schedulers must access capture schedules via the Section row in the Courses page).
- From the Admin Captures page, select Scheduled from the capture status filters across the top of the page. Use the filters on the left to further filter the list as necessary.
When found, click on the capture row to open the capture schedule dialog box for editing.
- From the Courses page, find the course/section for the capture, click the Schedule icon to open the schedules page for the section. From the list, click on the capture schedule you want to edit to expand it.
Click on the capture time-slot for the schedule then click the Edit icon (it looks like a pencil) to open the capture schedule dialog box for editing.
This is the ONLY method available for Scheduler-role users.
Why different colors? If the section has multiple schedules, they are differentiated by color for ease of viewing; the colors have no meaning and are applied randomly.
Once you've accessed the capture schedule, you can change any of the information in it.
BE ADVISED, however, that for capture schedules set to auto-publish to one or more sections, changes to the capture schedule also generates changes the classes created to contain the completed captures. Depending on the changes made, the previously generated classes might be deleted, or updated with a new name, date, time, or duration. Understand, however, that if an instructor has already published a presentation to an upcoming class, that class will be retained. A new class for the edited schedule will be created in addition to the original class.
To use Live streaming, you MUST have at least one section selected for publishing. In addition, the selected room must contain an Echo360 capture appliance, Universal Capture or a CCAP installation running on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.
NOTE: The maximum duration of any scheduled capture is enforced by the system and is dependant on the device being used. The limit for SafeCapture HDs is 4 hours, all other capture appliances have a limit of 8 hours. For details and limitations, see Working with Capture Appliances.
NOTE: For a recurring capture schedule being published to a section, the exclusion dates configured for the term of the selected sections in the Publish list are the exclusions enforced for the schedule. Meaning, no captures are generated on those dates. If there are no sections selected, all recurring dates in the start/end date range are captured.
To edit a capture schedule
- Use one of the above-listed methods to open the capture schedule dialog box.
- Enter/Edit a Title for the capture (required).
This becomes the name for the capture and the name for the classes created to hold the capture if auto-published to a section.
- Select an Instructor for the capture. The instructor is typically the person who is running the class to be recorded.
The instructor also becomes the owner of the capture; the completed capture will appear in their Library page.
- If appropriate, enter the email address of any Guest Instructor you may want to include in the capture information.
- Use the drop-down lists to change the Campus, Building, and Room where the capture will occur.
Selecting a room also selects the device that will be used to generate the capture.
- Select the Inputs to use for this/these captures. Your options are determined by the device's configuration.
- Select the output Quality for the captures. Your options include Standard, High, and Highest.
- Select whether to enable Closed Captioning for this capture. This option is only available if you have closed captioning configured for the system.
- Select whether these captures will be available via Live Stream. This simply means that students can watch the class in real time from a remote location.
- Enter the Start Date for the capture. Today's date appears by default.
- For non-recurring captures, this is the date on which the capture will occur.
- For recurring captures, this is the first date on which the capture will occur.
- Enter the Time Range for the capture.
- Select whether the capture repeats or not. Your options are:
- None (one-time event)
- Weekly (creates a recurring event on one or more days a week).
- If you select Recurring, the box expands to show additional required options:
- Identify the weekly frequency of the capture; enter 1 for every week, enter 2 for every other week, etc.
- Identify an End date for the capture (the last date on which the capture will occur).
- Use the sliders to identify on which days each week the capture is to occur.
- Use the Course, Term, and Section drop-down lists to identify or change the location to which the completed captures are to be published. Selecting a publishing location is optional.
- Use the Availability settings for the selected Section to set whether or not to delay the availability by a set number of days. You can also make the completed capture Unavailable after a set number of days. Availability is for student viewing; instructors can always see published captures.
By default, all published captures are available "Immediately" and "Never" unavailable.
The Availability settings are only active if you have a section selected. Logically captures that are not published to a section are not available to students and therefore do not need availability/unavailability set for them.
- To publish to more than one section, click ADD SECTION and repeat the process. You can publish to as many as ten different sections.
- If you added an additional section, set the availability for completed captures for subsequent sections as needed.
- To remove a section, click the X located to the right of the section.
- When finished, review ALL of the information in the dialog box. If correct, click SAVE.
There are three different "types" of scheduled captures, and deleting each of them has different steps.
If the capture schedule is non-recurring (happens one time), find the capture on the Admin Captures page as described in the Opening the Capture Dialog Box section at the top of this page. Then click the Delete icon (it looks like a trash can) located on the right side of the capture row.
This method deletes a single capture, whether it is recurring or otherwise; it will not delete a recurring capture schedule. For a recurring schedule, the above steps will only delete the selected capture; all other captures in the recurring schedule will still occur.
If you are not sure whether a capture is recurring or not, look for a small curved arrow icon located to the left of the capture title (as shown in the below figure). This icon indicates that this capture is recurring.
ALTERNATELY, if the non-recurring capture is auto-published to a section, you can delete it from the section's captures page as described immediately below, or use the above instructions. Keep in mind, however, that deleting the capture schedule deletes it for ALL selected sections (if the schedule publishes to multiple sections).
To remove the schedule for only one of the sections, click the X located to the right of the section in the bottom of the capture schedule dialog box, shown above.
If the capture schedule is both recurring AND auto-publishes to a section, open the Courses page and find the section schedule as described in the Opening the Capture Dialog Box section at the top of this page. Then click the Delete icon for the section's schedule (also shown above).
IMPORTANT: If the capture schedule publishes to multiple sections, deleting the schedule deletes it for ALL listed sections. To remove the schedule for only one of the sections, click the X located to the right of the section in the bottom of the capture schedule dialog box, shown above.
If the capture is recurring but NOT associated with a section, you can either find all instances of the recurrence and delete them separately as you would for non-recurring captures, OR edit the capture schedule to remove the recurrence (change Repeats from Weekly to None, or un-toggle any selected days), then delete the remaining non-recurring capture.