Captures, as discussed here, are recordings made by Echo360 recording appliances (such as the Echo360 PRO or POD or the SCHD), by Classroom Capture or by Universal Capture: Classroom, initiated by an Administrator, and set to occur either as scheduled recordings for a section, scheduled recordings of planned speakers, or as one-off recordings of special events.
Captures can be recorded and published for on-demand playback (VOD) or streamed live. If you are planning to live stream captures, know that an on-demand video will automatically be created from the stream and that the live stream quality will be the SAME as that selected for the capture output. Also know that PRO and POD devices stream at a lower bitrate than the SCHD, improving the live viewing experience from those devices.
The following table provides a basic guide for selecting capture output quality, particularly as related to the number of users you expect to stream a capture live (number of individual live streams):
|Standard/Medium (API, CSV)||Recommended for Live webcasting to students in multiple locations and VOD-only captures (non-live)|
|High||Recommended for overflow auditoriums for Live (very few individual viewing streams), single channel display webcasts, and VOD-only captures (non-live)|
|Highest||Only recommended for overflow auditoriums for Live (very few individual viewing streams) and VOD-only captures (non-live)|
Selecting sections for auto-publishing captures
Captures can be set to be automatically published to one or more sections, or they can be created without target sections for publishing, to be manually published later.
Schedulers can ONLY create capture schedules that are auto-published to sections.
Captures that are not associated with a section have the following limitations:
- You cannot Live Stream a capture unless it has a section associated with it.
If you need to set up a live stream for outside of a particular section (available to a wider audience), set up a special events section to publish the Live capture to. Be sure to assign all appropriate users to the section, and possibly configure a shared venue for multiple users to view the stream. See Configuration Requirements for Live for additional information.
- Captures without a section will ONLY appear in the selected Instructor's LIBRARY and/or on the Admin's CAPTURES page. Either the Admin or the Instructor will have to publish the capture to make it viewable by other users.
ALTERNATELY an admin or an instructor can copy the public link for a completed capture and post it anywhere (with or without authentication required). This allows non-section assignees, or even non-Echo360 users to view the media and may be an option if publishing does not provide sufficient user access.
- Captures scheduled without sections will not recognize any exclusion dates configured for the configured for the term. This is because the capture schedule doesn't have a "term" to work with unless a section is selected.
- You cannot set Availability/Unavailability unless a section is selected. Availability settings apply only to whether students can view the capture. If the capture is not published to a section, it is not available to students and therefore does not require availability settings.
How are exclusion dates enforced?For a recurring capture schedule being published to a section, the exclusion dates configured for the term of the section listed in the Publish list are the exclusions enforced for the schedule. Meaning, no captures are generated on those dates.
- If there are no sections selected, all recurring dates in the start/end date range are captured.
- If you publish to multiple sections that reside in different terms, the term dates for each section's term is enforced with respect to exclusion dates and term start/end date limitations.
Live Streaming captures
Be aware of the following with respect to live streaming captures:
- Live Stream quality is the same as capture output quality: The ability to set the Live Stream quality separately has not yet been implemented.
- Captures must be published to one or more sections in order to be live streamed; if no sections are listed, the Live stream toggle is unavailable.
- IF you are having problems streaming Live captures, set your capture output quality to Standard for captures that are also to be streamed live. This will reduce the size and bitrate of the stream. Also be aware that both the PRO and POD devices stream lower bitrates than SCHD.
- The selected room must contain an Echo360 capture appliance (SCHD, PRO, or POD), a CCAP installation running on Windows 8.1 and above or Universal Capture: Classroom.
Creating a scheduled capture (recurring or singular)
As with all captures, you must identify a room for the capture, which in turn identifies the device that will be doing the capturing. Captures can only be added for rooms where a capture device has been added. Furthermore, the maximum duration of any scheduled capture is enforced by the system and is dependant on the device type being used (4 hours for SafeCapture HDs and 8 hours for all other capture appliances). For details and limitations, see Working with Capture Appliances.
To create a scheduled capture capture
- Use one of the following methods to open the Capture dialog box.
- From the Admin Captures page, select ADD CAPTURE.
- From the Courses page, find the course/section for the capture, click the Schedule icon then select ADD CAPTURE TO SECTION.
If you select this method, the Publish section of the dialog box automatically lists the section you came from. In addition, this is the ONLY method available to Scheduler-role users.
- Enter a Title for the capture (required).
This becomes the name for the capture and the name for the classes created to hold the capture if auto-published to a section.
- Select an Instructor for the capture. The instructor is typically the person running the class to be recorded.
The instructor selected also becomes the owner of the capture; the completed capture will appear in their Library page.
- If appropriate, enter the name or email address of a Guest Instructor.
This is a text field designed to simply identify a guest lecturer for the capture schedule if appropriate. It is for informational purposes only.
- Use the drop-down lists to select a Campus, Building, and Room where the capture will occur.
Selecting a room also selects the device that will be used to generate the capture.
- Select the Inputs to use for this/these captures. Your options are determined by the device's configuration.
- Select the output Quality for the captures. Your options include Standard, High, and Highest.
- Select whether to enable Closed Captioning for this capture. This option is only available if you have closed captioning configured for the system.
- Select whether these captures will be available via Live Stream. This simply means that students can watch the class in real time from a remote location.
- Enter the Start Date for the capture. Today's date appears by default.
- For non-recurring captures, this is the date on which the capture will occur.
- For recurring captures, this is the first date on which the capture will occur.
- Enter the Time Range for the capture.
- Select whether the capture repeats or not. Your options are:
- None (one-time event)
- Weekly (creates a recurring event on one or more days a week).
- If you select Recurring, the box expands to show additional required options:
- Identify the weekly frequency of the capture; enter 1 for every week, enter 2 for every other week, etc.
- Identify an End date for the capture (the last date on which the capture will occur).
- Use the sliders to identify on which days each week the capture is to occur.
IMPORTANT: The End Date defaults to today's date; if you do not change it, you will not have a recurring capture. Be sure to change the end date for recurring capture recurrences.
- Use the Course, Term, and Section drop-down lists to identify the location to which the completed captures are to be published. Selecting a publishing location is optional. See the statement near the top of this page regarding the generation of captures without section association.
- Use the Availability settings for the selected Section to set whether or not to delay the availability by a set number of days. You can also make the completed capture Unavailable after a set number of days. Availability is for student viewing; instructors can always see published captures.
By default, all published captures are available "Immediately" and are "Never" unavailable.
Availability settings are only active if you have a section selected. Logically captures that are not published to a section are not available to students and therefore do not need availability/unavailability set for them.
- To publish to more than one section, click ADD SECTION and repeat the process. You can publish to as many as ten different sections.
- If you added an additional section, set the availability for completed captures for subsequent sections as needed.
- To remove a section, click the X located to the right of the section.
- When finished, review ALL of the information in the dialog box. If correct, click SAVE.
The figure below shows a completed capture dialog box, where the capture is to be published to two different sections. Both of those sections will have classes automatically created to hold the completed captures. The date and time for the classes will be the same in both sections, and the capture to be published will also be the same in both sections (one capture published to two different locations). The capture will be available immediately for students but will become unavailable after 14 days, for both sections (availability can be set differently per section if needed).
Keeping in mind that if a user chooses to Edit the capture, the changes will apply to all published versions.