In any given term there may be multiple offerings of the same course, which are represented as sections. Sections then have captures of the classes scheduled and those scheduled capture occurrences are the classes students attend.
For example, the English Department offers the Composition 1 course, ENG-COMP1, for which there are three different scheduled offerings defined as Sections ENG-COMP101, ENG-COMP102, and ENG-COMP103.
For some institutions, a course and a section are considered the same thing. Or for many courses, there may be only one section. In these cases, there will still be both a course and a section, but you would configure only one section per course.
There are two methods for creating sections in Echo360:
- Bulk Import -Create multiple sections by importing a CSV file. See Imports: Section and Enrollments
- Manually - Add sections individually through the interface. These steps appear below.
Each course can have a maximum of 250 sections.
To add sections through the interface
- Select COURSES from the main navigation bar.
The course catalog appears.
- Create a new section in one of the following ways:
- At the top of the screen, click New Section, OR
- Find the appropriate course in the list (search, filter, or scroll through), then click the New section icon (plus sign) located to the right of the course name.
- In the Create a new section page that appears, select a Course from the drop-down list.
If you clicked the plus sign for a course, this is pre-populated with that course.
- Choose a Term during which this section will be scheduled.
- To clearly identify the section, enter a section code. The section code must be unique to the course/term combination.
- From the list, select an instructor. NOTE that the first instructor you assign to the section will automatically be made the Primary Instructor for the section.
- To add another section to this course, click ADD SECTION and complete the section code and instructor fields.
- If you need to remove a section from those listed for the course, click the X button next to the section you want to delete.
- Click SAVE.