Some institutions that use an LMS allow (or require) their instructors to create the Echo360 courses and/or sections to which their LMS courses link. Some institutions consider Echo course/section creation an Administrator responsibility, allowing instructors to just select which section to link.
However, some instructors may try to create these items in Echo360 if the interface allows them. If the Admin has already created the course/sections to be linked, the LMS link will point to the wrong Echo section, causing significant problems and confusion.
To avoid this possibility, the Administrator can disable the LMS section creation toggle, so that instructors see only the "Link to a section" page when entering Echo360 through the LMS. This provides only the ability to select an existing course and section to link through the LMS course page.
To disable course creation by instructors through the LMS
- Log in as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Institution Settings.
The Institution appears at the top of the list and is selected by default.
- On the right side of the Institution Settings page, click Features.
- Under Features, disable the LMS section creation toggle switch (it is enabled by default).
- Click Yes on the confirmation message that appears.
The ability to create Echo sections through the LMS is now disabled. Instructors will only see the page allowing them to select a section to link to.
IMPORTANT: The sections must exist in Echo360 and that instructor must be assigned to the section in order for it to appear in the selection list for linking to an LMS section.