By default, only owners can edit their content. However, in some cases, instructors may want their co-instructors or teaching assistants for a section to be able to edit class-published content. This is particularly useful in cases where a single instructor is the owner of all of the section's captures, even though there may be multiple instructors or teaching assistants responsible for the lectures and class-published content.
In this case, an instructor for a section can enable the ability for all content published to a section to be editable by any other instructor or teaching assistant also assigned to the section. This capability is disabled by default, however, as an administrator, you can set the default to Enabled using the feature toggles at the institution, organization, or department level.
Enabling this feature applies to all class content across the section, and applies to all instructors/teaching assistants. Meaning any instructor or teaching assistant with visibility of the content published to a class will be able to edit content published (and owned) by other instructors. Owners can always edit their own content.
If an instructor or teaching assistant selects to edit a piece of content that they do not own (does not appear in their Content library), a message appears noting this and asking to confirm that they want to proceed.
WARNING about cross-published content: Whenever an item is edited, the changes apply to ALL PUBLISHED VERSIONS of the content. This is also noted in the warning message shown when selecting to edit class content.
For example: An instructor teaches two different sections of the same class and publishes the same content to both sections. If one of the co-instructors edits content through ONE of the sections, those changes will also appear in the other section, because it is a single piece of content published to two places.
To enable co-instructor/teaching assistant editing ability
- Log in as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Institution Settings.
The Institution appears at the top of the list and is selected by default.
- Navigate to the organization or department you want to set the default for or remain on the Institution in the left panel.
- On the right side of the Institution Settings page, click Section Features.
- In the Instructor and Teaching Assistant Permissions section, toggle the Co-instructors/Teaching Assistants edits switch on (it is disabled by default).
- Check or uncheck the Allow override checkbox to determine whether this toggle setting can be changed at any of the lower levels.
- Click OK on the confirmation message that appears.
Edit commands will now appear in the content icon menu for editable class content for all instructors assigned to a section.