The Administrator's DASHBOARD provides important overview information about the system. Currently the Dashboard provides informational cards that include:
- Captures: The Captures card shows how many captures have been scheduled for today's date, along with the average number of captures per day for the past 30 days. It also provides a small line graph indicating the relative number of captures per day for the past 30 days.
- Cloud Usage: The Cloud Usage Hours Chart provides a bar graph showing a detailed view of cloud usage for the months indicated. Hover over each bar to see a breakdown of hours for that month.
- Student Activity: The Student Activity card shows the total amount of student activity (interactions with the system) for the current month, the number of unique students who have performed those actions, and an average of interactions per student for the current month.
- Capture Sources: The Capture Sources card provides the number of different sources providing video media into the system, the total number of captures in the past 30 days, along with a percentage increase of captures into the system over the past week.
- Top Sections: The Top Sections card identifies the most active sections, along with their instructors, across all currently active term(s). The ranking is determined using the sum of student engagement activities divided by the number of active students in the section. Click on the Top Sections card to show the Top Sections Report.
- Audit Trail: The Audit Trail card shows the total number of changes made to objects in the system, including how many changes have been in made in the last day. Click on the card to see a detailed Audit Trail Report with additional information.
Use the Organizations and Departments drop-down lists located above the cards to filter the data shown on each card.
For many of the cards, the data you see on the card and in the details view may be determined by your Delegated Administrative access (where it applies). If DA is turned on for your institution, you will see calculations that pertain to captures, student activity, etc., related to the organizations or departments to which you have access.
Clicking on a card provides detailed information about the data being shown. This is discussed in more detail later on this page.
Click and drag a card to a different location on the page, to change the view to suit your needs.
Remove and restore cards from the dashboard using the instructions located below.
More cards will be added regularly, and you can choose to remove and restore cards as needed. Whatever view you select will persist even if you exit the system and return later.
You can remove a card from your dashboard using the ACTION drop-down menu that appears in the top right corner of the card when you hover over it.
If you close one or more cards, use the Selector Card (the one with the plus sign on it) to return the card to the Dashboard. Clicking the Selector Card provides a list of cards available to re-add to your dashboard, as shown in the below figure.
The Selector Card (with the plus sign) currently lists cards that are not yet available but which are currently in development. If you select one of those cards now, you will get the card but the data area reads "in progress." We put those there to let you know they are coming. We are working quickly and are very excited about providing admins with as much information as we can, and just as soon as possible.
The Captures card appears on the left by default (and in the above figure) and shows the number of captures that have been scheduled to take place today. The card also shows the average number of captures that have occurred over the past 30 days, and a small line graph showing the relative quantity of captures over the same period.
The count on the Captures card includes class recordings, uploaded videos, and Personal Capture uploads. In short, all video media put into the system is included the captures count.
Click on the card to provide a detailed view of today's captures, including a bar graph showing the number of captures currently in each of the 5 states (scheduled, capturing, processing, complete, and error).
Hover your mouse over each bar to show a popup that indicates the percentage of today's captures in that state.
Use the right and left arrow icons on the details pane to scroll through different days, to view the capture information for each day (either past or future).
When finished, click the X in the top right corner of the detail view to close it and return to the Dashboard. Alternately you can click anywhere outside of the detail view to close it.
More detailed information on system captures, along with additional control functionality are available on the CAPTURES page.
The Captures data is updated approximately every five minutes.
The Cloud Usage Hours chart provides a bar graph showing a detailed view of cloud usage for the months indicated. The cloud usage data is updated in as close to real-time as possible.
The Cloud usage figure at the top is the total number of hours of data delivery for the institution for the months shown.
Hover your mouse over each bar to show a breakdown in hours of each type of usage for that month.
Click on the usage type in the legend to see ONLY that type of usage in the chart.
Each bar is segmented by usage type:
- VOD-Institution - Content (video or presentations) that has been viewed either outside of a section/class (using a posted link to the video or an embedded video in a portal or LMS) OR content viewed inside sections/courses that are NOT associated with an Organization or Department. Essentially, VOD-Institution is usage data for media viewing that cannot be put into a bucket for an Organization or Department.
- VOD-Org/Dept - Content that has been viewed within sections/classrooms that ARE associated (through their course) with an Organization or Department.
Both types of VOD data usage include content viewed through a browser or the Mobile Apps, as well as media downloaded from classes for offline viewing.
- Live - Videos that have been streamed live to users.
- Other - The data used to load the front end of the application, among other things.
For more complete definitions of the categories as well as details on what the figures mean and how they are calculated, see Cloud Usage Chart Details.
Use the Organization and Department drop-down lists located at the top of the Dashboard to filter Cloud Usage data as needed.
Differences when viewing Org/Dept Level Usage Data: When viewing the cloud usage data for a particular Organization or Department, please note the following:
> Only VOD-Org/Dept data is shown; Live and Other (and logically VOD-Institution) is provided for the institution-level chart only.
> Data is displayed from the time the org/dept level data categorization was implemented, approximately Jan 10-15, 2018 forward. February is the first full month of data.
The Student Activity card appears to the right of the Cloud Usage card by default (and in the above figure) and shows the total number of student interactions with system objects for the current month, along with the number of unique students that have interacted with the system in the same time period. The card also shows the average number of interactions per student based on total events and total unique student count for the current month.
Use the Organization and Department drop-down lists located above the cards to filter the Student Activity data by Org/Dept.
Click on the card to provide a detailed view of student interactions, in a line graph, broken down by type and laid out by day, for the current month.
Also notice that you can customize the scope of activities shown using the Organization and Department drop-down lists located below the graph.
Hover your mouse over each vertical line to show a popup for the date corresponding to the line. The popup provides raw numbers for each student activity category, for the date selected.
The student activity categories, shown to the right of the graph, provide both a legend of which line in the graph corresponds with the category, as well as a percentage of overall activity the category occupies for the time period shown. For example, in the below figure, 43% of the student interactions were views of class presentations (slide decks).
Click a category on the right to highlight that line in the graph.
Use the right and left arrow icons on the details pane to scroll through different months, to view the student activity for each month (past only).
When finished, click the X in the top right corner of the detail view to close it and return to the Dashboard.
The Student Activity data is updated approximately every hour.
Student Activity categories defined
The student activity is broken down by category or type of activity. These are listed on the right side of the graph, and also appear (with raw numbers) in the popup when hovering over a date-line in the graph.
The activity categories are defined as follows:
- Confusion - Each confusion mark given by students on slides. Example: if a student marks 5 different slides in a presentation confusing, the activity counter adds 5 for the confusion category. Unflagging and re-flagging within the same day is only counted once.
- Notes - Each note entry created by a student (each individual note entry, not each word). For example, a Student types some text into the notes panel, then hits enter and types another set of text into the notes panel. Each of those entries is counted, so in this case the activity counter adds 2 for the Notes category.
- Polling - Each activity slide the student answered. Example: if a slide deck has 9 activity slides but the student only answered 8 of them, the Polling activity counter adds 8. Submissions and edits to answers that occur in the same day are only counted once.
- Q&A - Each question or response entered by a student.
- Slide Deck Views - Each view of one or more slides in a classroom slide deck by a student. If the student re-views the slide deck after 30 minutes, a second view is counted.
- Video Views - Each view of any duration of a classroom video. If a student re-views the video after 30 minutes, a second view is counted.
Deleting activity items (notes, questions/responses, slides) will not decrement the student activity counters. The student performed an action and the action is counted, even if the item they added or commented upon is removed.
The Capture Sources card appears to the right of the Student Activity card by default (and in the above figure) and shows the total number of sources or input methods used to ingest video media into the system, along with a total number of captures in the system. The card also shows the percentage increase in number of captures in the system over the past 7 days.
Use the Organization and Department drop-down lists located above the cards to filter the Capture Sources by Org/Dept.
Click on the card to provide a detailed view of the capture sources in the system and the percentage of total captures provided by each source. This is presented in a pie chart.
Also notice that you can customize the scope of captures by source shown using the Organization and Department drop-down lists located below the chart.
The source types, shown to the right of the pie chart, provide both a legend of which segment of the chart corresponds with the category, as well as a total count of captures from that source in the system. For example, in the below figure, 59.22% of the captures in the system have been generated by SCHD capture appliances, which is also shown in the Legend on the right as 533 of the total 900 captures.
The Top Sections card lists the sections with the highest level of student engagement across all sections in the currently active terms. The engagement scoring is based on the number of video views, polling responses, and other student activity in the section, averaged out by the number of active students in the section. The averaging is done so that sections with a lot of students aren't given undue weight simply because they happen to have more enrolled students.
Each section is listed with the instructor for the section. Click on the Top Sections card to open a detailed Top Sections Report.
Use the Organization and Department drop-down lists located above the cards to filter the Top Sections by Org/Dept.
The Audit Trail card appears on the bottom-right by default (and in the above figure) and shows the total number of trackable changes made in the system. The card also shows the number of changes made in the past day.
The Organization/Department filters for the Admin Dashboard do not apply to the Audit Trail card. All audit trail entries are provided for the institution as a whole. In addition, all administrators can see all audit trail entries, regardless of whether or not they are an admin limited to delegated (org or dept) access.
Click on the card to provide a detailed view of the changes made to objects in the system.
For details regarding what is shown in and how to use the Audit Trail detail report, see Audit Trail Report.