The Echo360 active learning platform allows for a three-tiered organizational hierarchy using the following levels: Institution > Organization > Department. The Institution (also referred to as a "tenant") is the top-most level of the hierarchy and represents your Echo360 institutional account. For more details on these hierarchical levels, see Defining the Organizational Hierarchy.
When you create courses, you have the option to assign those to an organization and/or a department. Assigning courses to an organization or department allows you to distribute the responsibility for managing those courses, their sections, and section capture schedules to either a Delegated Administrator or a dedicated Scheduler.
Assigning the Scheduler role to a user provides that user with administrative access only to the Courses page, and therefore only to the courses, sections, and section schedules in the system. Once a user is designated as a "scheduler", the next step is to explicitly select which departments and/or organizations that scheduler has access to. Or you can assign the user to the Institution-level, allowing them to view and manage all courses, sections, and schedules in the institution.
Designating Scheduler access to one or more organizations or departments limits the scheduler's access to the following:
- Courses within that organization or department and their associated sections.
For example: the user can only create a course within the organization or department to which they have administrative rights. They can edit any course within their org/dept hierarchy but they cannot move the course to an org or dept to which they do not have rights.
- Capture Schedules for sections associated with courses within their org/dept hierarchy.
- The ability to create, edit, or delete all terms in the system.
- The ability to create, edit, or delete courses, sections, and section schedules within the organization(s) and department(s) to which they are assigned.
The Institution Settings page provides the list of Scheduler-Role users in the system and allows you to grant access at the appropriate levels.
Access rights are given from the top down. Meaning if you give access to the organization, the scheduler has access to all departments within the organization. To give access to only select departments, remove organizational access and set each department individually.
To enable and set delegated administration:
NOTE: Enabling access for an organization automatically enables access to all departments. To enable rights for some departments but not others in the organization, uncheck the user for the organization first, then enable the user for the individual departments.
- Log in as an administrator and click the Settings icon in the top right corner (it looks like a gear).
- Select Institution Settings.
The Institution and all organizations and departments are listed on the left, with settings and options tabs shown on the right.
- Navigate to and select the Department or Organization node from the left to which the user(s) should have scheduling rights. Or remain at the Institution level.
- Click Schedulers from the right side of the page.
- Scroll through or use the Search box to find the scheduler(s) you need to provide with access, and check the box to the left of their name.
- Repeat the above three steps to provide additional schedulers with appropriate hierarchical access.
When finished, you may want to ask the schedulers to log in as their scheduler role and confirm they can see the Courses page and the courses and sections within the organization or department to which they have been granted access.