Instructors have always had the ability to generate an ad hoc capture for a class, either through Device Web UI, or the CCAP Interface, or in some institutions, via the device monitor light, which also functions as a capture control button.
Echo360 now provides a Start Capture button, located on the instructor's main menu bar, allowing them to generate an ad hoc capture more easily.
If you enable the Start Capture button for instructors, you can then select whether or not to have those captures automatically sent for closed captioning. Enable or disable the Caption all ad hoc captures toggle. If enabled, all (but ONLY) captures generated via the Start Capture button will be automatically sent through your configured captioning provider for closed captioning. Ad hoc captures generated via any other method are not affected by this toggle, and are not automatically sent for captioning.
The Start Capture button is disabled (not visible) by default but can be enabled at the institution level.
The Start Capture button initiates an appliance-generated capture in the selected room, for the selected section; it does not launch Personal Capture. To resolve some confusion, be advised that the Start Capture button enabled/disabled by this feature toggle is designed as an alternative to using the Device Web UI, the CCAP Interface, or the front panel of the Echo360 PRO or Echo360 POD appliance to initiate an ad hoc capture. It is not designed as a launch-method for Personal Capture.
To allow instructors to generate ad hoc captures from the Echo360 UI
- Log in as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Institution Settings.
The Institution appears at the top of the list and is selected by default.
- On the right side of the Institution Settings page, click Features.
- Enable the Show ad hoc capture button for instructors toggle on (it is disabled by default).
- As appropriate, enable or disable the Caption all ad hoc captures toggle. If enabled, all captures generated via the Start Capture button will be automatically sent through your captioning provider for captioning.
Note that other methods of generating ad hoc captures are not affected by this toggle and are not automatically captioned.
- Click OK on the confirmation message that appears for either toggle change.
Instructors will now see a Start Capture button in the main menu bar of the UI.
The main toggle only adds/removes the Start Capture button from the Instructor's UI. It does not limit the ability for instructors to generate ad hoc captures using other methods, including the Device Web UI, the CCAP interface, the front panel of a PRO or POD, or the device monitor light, if one is installed in the classroom.
In addition, the Caption ad hoc captures toggle ONLY applies to captures generated via the Start Capture button; it does not affect other ad hoc capture methods which are not automatically captioned.