The instructions below add Echo360 as an External App in Canvas at the Account level. While you can add the Echo360 App at the Course level, we strongly recommend adding it at the Account level. Adding the app to the Account automatically makes it available for every course configured for the account. It can be removed from individual course navigation if necessary.
These procedures must be performed by a user who is both a Canvas and an Echo360 Administrator.
To create an Echo360 App in Canvas
- Log in to Canvas as an administrator.
- Click Admin from the navigation on the left, then select the main Account for your institution. In the figure below, the main account for Canvas is named Echo360.
- All Courses configured in the account are shown by default. Select Settings from the bottom of the list of links on the left.
- From the Settings page, shown in the below figure, click the Apps tab.
- Click View App Configurations.
- From the External Apps page, click + App (the add app button), as shown in the below figure.
- In the Add App dialog box, select Paste XML from the Configuration Type drop-down list.
- Enter a Name for the App. This is the name that appears in the App Config list and identifies it as the External tool link to Echo360.
- In a new tab or browser window, log into Echo360 as an Administrator and navigate to the LMS Configurations page (Settings > Configurations).
- From the Canvas configuration block, ensure the LTI tab is selected, then select and copy the Consumer Key and Shared Secret then paste each value into the corresponding fields of the Canvas App dialog box.
TIP: Because selecting from the LTI fields in Echo can be difficult, use the following steps to ensure you are copying the whole value:
1) Use your mouse to select a portion of the field values.
2) Press Ctrl+A / Command+A to "select all" of the field.
3) Press Ctrl+C / Command + C to copy the selected value.
4) Press Ctrl+V/Command+V to paste the value into the corresponding field in the Canvas Add App dialog box.
- Return to the Echo360 browser window, and click the LTI Config tab, shown in the below figure.
- Review the Course navigation and Content embed button toggles to ensure they are set the way you want them. The toggles control:
- Course navigation: Allows the Echo360 app you are adding to be selected from within Canvas courses.
- Content embed button: Enables an Echo360 button in all content windows in Canvas that users can select to embed Echo360 videos directly into content windows.
IMPORTANT: If you do NOT enable the Content embed button when the app is first created, you will either need to create a second Echo360 app in Canvas to generate the button later, OR delete and re-add the Echo360 app with both toggles turned on. See Adding an Echo360 Button to the Canvas Content Editor Toolbar.
- In Echo360, click the XML tab of the Canvas LMS configuration block.
- Click COPY XML.
- Return to the Canvas browser window, and paste the copied XML into the XML Configuration field of the Add App dialog box
- When finished, click Submit.
As long as Course navigation was enabled for the LMS configuration in Echo360, the Echo360 App is now available on the left navigation for all courses (it can be removed for individual courses) AND for selection as an External Tool link from within the Assignments page of a course. If your instructors plan to export Echo360 student analytics to the Canvas gradebook, students MUST use an assignments link to access Echo360. See Adding an Echo360 Link to a Canvas Course for more information.
If the Content embed button was enabled for the LMS configuration in Echo360, the toolbar for all content editors in Canvas now show an Echo360 button. Users can click this button to select and automatically embed Echo360 videos into content windows. See Embedding Echo360 Videos into Canvas.
NOTE: Embedded content does not generate student analytic data. Students must view content within section classrooms to generate Engagement analytic data in Echo360.