Echo360 has developed multiple modes of interoperability with the Canvas LMS.
- Add an Echo360 app to provide basic course navigation, allowing you to link your Canvas courses to Echo360 sections.
- Add an Echo360 app that provides an Echo360 "easy embed" button to all content editor toolbars, giving users an easy method for embedding Echo360 videos into Canvas Pages, Discussions, Assignments, etc.
- Add an Echo360 app that allows Students to respond to Canvas course assignments by posting a video from their Echo360 content library.
The steps below provide a high-level workflow for integrating Echo360 with Canvas, and provide links to more specific articles with more detailed procedures as needed.
NOTE: The procedures in the linked articles are provided as guidelines to the Canvas setup process. Refer to the Canvas documentation for additional details or contact Canvas product support if you need further assistance.
Step 1: Add a Canvas LMS Configuration in Echo360
As an Echo360 Admin, click the Settings icon (it looks like a gear) and select Configurations. The LMS Configurations page appears by default.
If you do not have a Canvas LMS Configuration already, click Add Configuration, then select Canvas from the drop-down list, and click Save.
A Canvas LMS Configuration appears on the page as shown below. This is the configuration you will use for ALL of your Echo360 Apps in Canvas.
For more detailed procedures, see Enable the Canvas LTI configuration in Echo360.
Step 2: Create one or more Echo360 Apps in Canvas
Canvas uses "Apps" to integrate with external systems. Echo360 strongly recommends that the Echo360 Apps you add to canvas are added at the Account level and NOT at the Course level. Adding Echo360 apps at the Account level make those apps and their functionality available to all courses in the Account. We also recommend that you add separate apps for each feature you want to enable, because having them separate allows you to disable or remove them without affecting the others.
As a Canvas admin, navigate to the Account and select Settings from the options on the left. Then select Apps > View App Configurations.
From the App Configurations page, you will use the + App button to add one or more Echo360 Apps into your Canvas installation, depending on what Echo360 functionality you want to provide to users. ALL Echo360 apps must be added using the By XML method. Refer to the following articles for detailed procedures:
- To allow links from Canvas Courses into Echo360 Sections and Classrooms, create an Echo360 Course Navigation app
- To provide an Echo360 button for embedding Echo360 videos into Content windows in Canvas, create an Echo360 Editor Button app
- To allow Instructors to generate course Assignments that allow students to submit Echo360 videos as homework assignments, create an Echo360 Homework Submission app.
The different Canvas apps are created using different XML cartridges generated in Echo360. Each Echo360 XML cartridge has a different feature enabled. This is done by using the feature sliders located in the LTI Config tab of the LMS Configuration shown below.
Enable the slider for the app you want to create, disabling the others, then click Save. This generates a new XML Cartridge that you can copy from the XML tab of the LMS Configuration.
Step 3: Link Canvas Courses to Echo360 Sections/Classes
This is potentially the most complicated set of steps in the process, because there are several different ways to go about it, depending on whether it's the Admin or the Instructor who executes it, whether the instructor is exporting Echo360 analytic data into their Canvas course gradebook, and whether the Echo360 sections already exist for linking or are created as a process of linking through from Canvas.
Use the links below for more information as needed:
- Creating an Echo360 Course Navigation app automatically generates a link to Echo360 on the left side of each Course page. If instructors are NOT exporting data from Echo360 into their gradebook, this may be the only link you need into Echo360. An admin or an instructor can click this link from each course, and then select the Echo360 Section to show to users.
- If instructors DO want to export Echo360 data into their gradebooks, they should remove the Echo360 App link from the left navigation of each course. It does NOT provide a gradebook column for Echo360 data; it also does not allow Echo360 to open in a separate browser tab.
- To allow Echo360 gradebook exports to Canvas, an admin or an instructor can add one or more Assignments links in the Canvas course, selecting the Echo360 Course Navigation app. Each Assignments link creates a column in the course gradebook that can receive Echo360 student analytics.
- Click the new Assignments link to Echo360 and select the Echo360 Section to show to users.
If an Admin performs this step, that user is then enrolled in the Echo360 section as an Instructor; you may wish to unenroll yourself from these sections later.
- If appropriate for the Course, Instructors may also choose to create multiple assignment links and link to individual classes within an Echo360 section.
- Instructors must direct students to the Assignments page to access Echo360 content OR place Assignment links in the desired locations (such as Modules) in Canvas.
- Alternately, instructors or admins can create the Echo360 course and/or section through the tool interface.
The user who creates the section this way is automatically assigned as an instructor to the course.
Finally, when a student passes through the link from Canvas into Echo360, they are automatically enrolled into the section as a student. If the student is not yet an Echo360 user, their Echo360 account is automatically created when they pass into Echo360.
Canvas course instructors are automatically enrolled into the Echo360 section as Instructors, if they are not already enrolled. Instructors may also have their Echo360 account created if it does not already exist when they pass into Echo360 from Canvas. See also Disabling Automatic Instructor Creation (for LMS users) if this is not appropriate for your institution.
Canvas Admins who pass into an Echo360 section this way are also enrolled as Instructors into the Echo360 course. See LMS to Echo360 User Role Mappings for additional details.
Step 4: Provide Articles to Instructors and Students as necessary
As noted in Step 3, some or all of those procedures can be done by Instructors or Admins. Once the functionality has been added to Canvas, let instructors and students know how to take advantage of it.
- If Instructors are responsible for linking into Echo360 from their Canvas Courses, be sure to provide them with the proper procedures for doing so.
- If your instructors are going to be exporting Echo360 student engagement analytics into their Canvas Gradebook, be certain they are configuring their section links properly (as Assignments, even if the links themselves are placed elsewhere in the course).
- If you have added an Editor Toolbar button for Instructors and/or Students, be sure they have instructions for embedding videos into Canvas content windows.
- If you have added a Homework assignments app, be sure instructors have the instructions needed to both create assignments that accept Echo360 video submissions, and students have the instructions necessary for submitting their Echo360 videos as homework assignments.