Publishing a Personal Capture recording uploads the file to Echo360 for processing. Once processed, the recording is posted in the Class list for the section you identify or to your Library. If you select to make the capture available on publish, students can view it as soon as processing and publishing are complete.
There are two publishing modes for Personal Capture:
Notes about publishing
You should also understand the following about the publishing process as a whole, which applies to both Auto and Manual publishing:
- While the actual file upload process happens in the background, you MUST wait until the "Finalization" and "Prepare to Publish" processes have finished, BEFORE closing the application. These statuses are noted on the screen and you will receive a notice if you attempt to close the application before they are complete.
- The Prepare to Publish process should take less than a minute.
- The Finalization process may take several seconds, or several minutes, depending on the length of the recording. Plan to allot for this time for longer recordings.
- The Publishing process occurs in the background but does require an active network connection. If this process is interrupted (network outage, turning off the computer or putting it to sleep), publishing will resume once the connection is re-established.
Once the recording is uploaded, it must be processed before it is published to the section. This may take from several minutes to several hours, depending on the current load of the Echo360 server. Wait an appropriate period of time, then check your Library page or the Class List page for the section to find the newly published capture.
The Preview Window of Personal Capture provides an Auto-publish option, shown in the below figure.
Auto-publish allows you to complete the recording, after which the capture is immediately uploaded and published to the section you selected before the recording began.
If you plan to use Auto-publish, keep in mind:
- You cannot review or edit the recording before it is auto-published to the selected course section.
- The recording is still saved locally, so you can edit the capture and re-publish it later, replacing the original capture, if appropriate.
To auto-publish a recording:
- Before you record, check the Auto-publish checkbox, shown in the figure above.
- Click Record.
- If you are not logged in, you will be sent through the Login process.
- In the publishing information dialog box, enter or edit the Title of the capture.
- Select an Upload To location for the capture from the drop-down list. Your options include one of your courses or your Echo360 Library page.
Note that all recordings you publish to a course automatically appear in your Library.
- When finished, click Record.
- When you are finished recording, click Stop. The recording is immediately uploaded to the server, processed, then placed in your Library or published immediately to the selected course.
If the Auto-publish checkbox is NOT checked, you will need to manually publish your captures to your courses. You can also manually published edited versions of your captures to replace those that may have been auto-published originally.
To manually publish a recording
- Hover the mouse over the recording you want to publish and click the Publish icon, as shown in the below figure.
- If you are not logged in, you will be sent through the Login process
- Once logged in, the Recordings list changes to display the Publishing Details fields shown in the below figure.
- Enter or edit the capture Title.
- Select the Upload To location to publish the recording to. You can select one of your courses or your Echo360 Library page.
Note that all recordings you publish to a course also appear in your Library page.
- When finished, click Upload. You will see a status bar, indicating the status of the file upload.