If you have not already done so, please see Personal Capture Specifications to be sure the computer you are using meets the minimum system requirement for Personal Capture (PCAP) for Windows.
NOTE that PCAP for Windows is not supported for use on netbooks or on "hybrid" laptop (laptop/tablet) computers, on Virtual Machines or when using Boot Camp for the Mac.
Do I Need to Remove Personal Capture If It's Already Installed?
If you are installing a new version, re-installing Personal Capture (PCAP) to resolve some issue, or are migrating from an ESS version of PCAP to an Echo360 active learning platform version, you must remove the old version first. The installer checks for any existing versions and may prompt you to remove the old version before installing, or may simply not allow installation until the old version is uninstalled. Removal of PCAP does not remove existing recordings, so you should be able to see the recordings created by the previous version after reinstallation.
Download the InstallerBe sure you are running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 before installing.
- Log into Echo360.
- Click the Settings menu to open it and select Downloads, as shown in the below figure.
- Click the Windows Download link from the Personal Capture section of the Downloads page, shown below. The installer must be run locally, so save the file to your computer.
Install the Program
The Personal Capture Windows Download link downloads a .exe file for installing PCAP. Use the steps below to install Personal Capture from the .exe file.
If an appropriate version of the .NET framework is not detected, the installer will attempt to download and install it for you. If it cannot be installed, the installation will stop. If .NET must be installed or upgraded, you may be prompted to restart the computer after installation.
To install Personal Capture on Windows
- Locate the downloaded Echo360PersonalCaptureInstaller.exe file. It should be located in the Downloads folder.
- On the warning message that appears, click Open.
- Once the installer is launched, follow the prompts to complete the installation.
Use Local Directories for Installation and Capture Storage Directories!
The Personal Capture installation and data directories must be on the local drive; they cannot be located on a network, remote (mapped), or USB thumb drive. Use the defaults provided during installation or select another local directory if desired.
After Personal Capture is installed, launch it. Run a test capture to ensure it works as expected. If it does, you may delete the downloaded installer file.
Uninstalling Personal Capture is easy, however, make sure that you have backed up your recordings to separate storage before uninstalling, or that they have been uploaded to Echo360.
Existing captures are not removed with uninstallation. If you want to remove them, find the recordings directory and manually delete it. The location will vary depending on which Windows OS version you are running.
To remove Personal Capture
- Open the Start menu and select All Programs.
- Click the Echo360 folder.
- Select Uninstall Echo360 Personal Capture from the options.
- Follow the prompts, clicking OK to remove the program.